A knit fabric that is hot pink has been on my list of “needs” for a few months. In my mind I thought it would look awesome with my houndstooth shirt from last week’s post. While wearing that shirt I went to Joann’s to find maybe a different type of fabric that is hot pink. They do not have a knit in the desired color. Moodfabric.com has several hot pink fabrics, but figuring out the weight of the fabric makes me nervous. Well, I don’t get sweaty palms or anything. One day I am just going to have to buy it.
In the meantime, I thought I would just leave Joann’s with SOMETHING. It was busy and I had my loving children so, shopping was kind of a test of patience and will power. In some sort of fabric desperation I found a sweater fabric. The wrong side is a fleece. This keeps it from raveling. Online there are two different blues and a purple. This fabric actually would make a great sweater dress. (I would have made one, BUT I only bought three quarters of a yard.)
Also, my sister-n-law sent me a skirt from a certain brand name…(I’m just not sure if it’s ok to say what name brand, but they specialize in knit clothing with all sorts of patterns. 😉 It fits just right and I thought I would give making one a whirl.
The first step was to make a pattern. I laid the skirt out to see if it had any pleats and to see if it was the same on front and back. As best that I can tell it is the same cut for the front and the back with no pleats. I folded it in half and traced it on tissue paper making sure to add a half inch for seam allowances and the hem. It has a four inch waist band. I traced that as well. Even now I am not sure of the correct shape of this piece. However, I know that it is two, nine inch pieces that are as wide as the skirt front and back pieces. the side seams… seem to be at an angle. Since the band is folded in half to make it four inches tall (with half inch seam allowance) the sides still just do not fully make sense to me. (There will most likely be another attempt at this pattern with a different fabric.)
I laid the pattern pieces on my three quarter of a yard of fabric. There was not enough fabric… 😦 😦 At this point I SHOULD have cut the waist band from another knit fabric I had leftover from another project. BUT I did not. I cut the waist band into two pieces, making a total of four pieces for the waist band: two for the front and two for the back. I didn’t even have enough fabric for all four pieces. I had to cut one piece of a totally different knit fabric. You can see the random piece of dark gray fabric added to the inside of the band.
Now, it was time for assembly. FAIL FAIL FAIL….. the front and back waist bands were made. I sewed them together where they would have been one piece if correctly cut. Then, waist band folded on the seam, I sewed it to the top of the front skirt and then the back of the skirt. Then I just sewed the side seams. This was not… I repeat… NOT right.
I should have sewn the side seams of the waist band together BEFORE I sewed it to the skirt front and back. AND I should have had enough fabric to cut the front and back waist bands in two pieces, not four. ALSO, this fabric that I bought hastily and out of frustration is not the same as a “knit” fabric. The description said sweater knit. That means knit stitches like having been knitted. Ha! It was only stretchy in one direction. Knit fabric (not like knitted stitches) is stretchy in both directions, well ALL directions. To top it all off, I don’t even think I like the fabric… hmmmm
If this skirt shows up on here again, hopefully it will be at least fitting around the waist correctly. It doesn’t even look like a good fit anywhere. Nope. I did not even hem it.
You live and learn. All things considered, it was not a great loss of time or money. The fabric was about $5. Hey, learn from my mistake!
Thanks again for your visit! You are amazing!!! Have a great rest of the day!